Friday, February 11, 2011

"I don't think I know anybody who goes to Mass every Sunday."


This was from our mid-week religious ed class the other night. The confirmation-prep children were asking about potential sponsors. The questions were honest, innocent, and telling.

A question and a comment stood out as rather alarming. "Do they have to be Catholic?" was one. When I responded 'yes' there were a couple disappointed sighs. But it was when I added that they also should be practicing Catholics who attend Mass every Sunday, there was a collective, exasperated disbelief. In the midst of the disruption I heard the comment, "I don't think I know anybody who goes to Mass every Sunday."

As much as the comment confirmed the suspicion, it was the candor and frankness with which it was delivered that was the heartbreaker.

We've got our work cut out for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment