Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Jesus' Last Words

Well, these are Jesus' last words, sort of. We celebrate the Ascension of the Lord.
He ascends right before their very eyes. It's a unique event in the history of the world.
Right before he ascends, he speaks to them for the last time. Final words are very important.
I remember the last conversation I had with my grandfather. I was with him as his grandson, but also in the capacity of a priest. The last words I heard him say were within the context of the last rites.
Jesus' last words are important. He says three things:
He says make disciples of all the nations; baptize them; teach them to observe all I have commanded you.
First, make disciples of all the nations. A huge responsibility. He authorizes them to make disciples of all the world, not just part, or some of the world. But all the world.
Second, He tells them to baptize them. The Sacramental life of the Church is important. We Baptize, Anoint, god to Confession, participate in the Most Holy Communion, marriage, etc.
Thirdly, he tells them what they need to teach to the people: to observe all Jesus commanded us.

No comments:

Post a Comment